Prohibition of and Punishment for Ragging
1) Ragging in any form is strictly prohibited, within the premises of Colleges/Departments or Institutions and any part of the Delhi University System as well as on public transport.
2) Any individual or collective act or practice of ragging constitutes gross indiscipline and shall be dealt with under this Ordinance.
3)Ragging for the purpose of this Ordinance means any act, conduct or practice by which the dominant power or status of senior students is brought to bear on students freshly enrolled or students who are in any way considered junior or inferior by other students and includes individual or collective acts or practices which
- Involve physical assault or threat and use of physical force;
- Violate the status, dignity and honour of students belonging to the scheduled castes and tribes;
- Violates the status, dignity and honour of women students;
- Exposes students to ridicule, contempt and affects their self esteem;
- Entails verbal abuse and digression, indecent gestures and obscene behaviour.
4) The Principal of a College, the Head of the Department or an institution, the authorities of College or University hostel or halls of residence shall take immediate action on any information of the occurrence of ragging.
5) Notwithstanding anything in Clause (4) above, the Proctor may also suo moto enquire into any incident of ragging and make a report to the Vice-Chancellor of the identity of those who have engaged in ragging and the nature of the incident.
6) The Proctor may also submit an initial report establishing the identity of the perpetrators of ragging and the nature of the ragging incident.
7) If the Principal of a College or Head of Department or Institution or the Proctor is satisfied that for some reason, to be recorded in writing, it is not reasonably practical to hold such an enquiry, he/she may also advise the Vice-Chancellor accordingly.
8) When the Vice-Chancellor is satisfied that it is not expedient to hold such an enquiry, his/her decision shall be final.
9) On the receipt of the report under Clause (5) or (6) or a determination by the relevant authority under Clause (7) disclosing the occurrence of ragging incidents described in Clause 3(a), (b) and (c), the Vice-Chancellor shall direct or order the rustication of a student or students for a specific number of years.
10) The Vice-Chancellor may, in other cases of ragging, order or direct that any student or students be expelled, or be not admitted for a stated period, to a course of study in a College, or be barred from taking a departmental examination for one or more years or that the results of the student or students concerned in the examination or examinations in which they appeared be cancelled.
11) In case students who have obtained degrees or diplomas of Delhi University are found guilty under this Ordinance an appropriate action will be taken against them under Statute 15 for withdrawal of degrees or diplomas conferred by the University.
12) For the purposes of this Ordinance, abetment to ragging will also amount to ragging.
13) All institutions within the Delhi University System shall be obliged to carry out instructions/directions issued under the Ordinance, and to give aid and assistance to the Vice-chancellor to achieve the implementation of the Ordinance.